Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Month One

You cannot move forward by looking behind*

--------

One of the funniest things we continually encounter thus far is walking to a hotel and after sharing our story they still ask for the make, model, and license plate of our car.  Irony is often scarce out here and you take it when you can get it.  

--------

I'm holed up in a hotel in Longview WA feeling pretty lousy so it's an opportunity for me to reflect on our one month anniversary on the road.  

--------

Urban Sprawl 

It may come as a bit of surprise but city miles are much harder on us than the country and the stretch between Everett to way south of Tacoma was tough.  Elevated ambient temperatures, street detritus, miles and miles of monotonous strip malls, car lots, box stores, and blaring street sounds require a higher degree of focus. Plus, it's boring for the boys and part of my job is keeping them engaged.  

I must admit a prior unfamiliarty with the precise use of  the word 'sprawl' until now and I have a greater appreciation for it.  So from Roy to Longview WA we've enjoyed the rural setting, though at the expense of cell service which is why posting has been sporadic. One bar.  No bar.  Two bars Go.  

--------

Tom Sawyer

Centralia WA was a weird kinda stretch that I still haven't really processed yet.  It was like my past life converged in this previously unknown and unchartered part of the world in two ways.  (1) A high school band mates lives up here that I had lunch with and (2) A host home we stayed at reintroduced me to the band, Rush.   

It's been years since I've listened to them and Tom Sawyer was exactly what I needed to hear.  The River. 

--------

The Columbia

Speaking of...  If you're in the area, come out and join us in crossing the Columbia River into Oregon, our second state.  Saturday the 10th.  High noon.  At the intersection of West 6th and Columbia near Esther Short Park.  Hope the instructions are correct but go to the Puppy Up Foundation page to be sure.  

--------

*YBD's Notes:  Kinda depends on your behind though.  

No comments: